Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Letting Go

Today is Matt's day off, and we impulsively decided to go to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary to return some library books, go to the bookstore, and walk around campus.  It is the beginning of the school year, so students are in the middle of orientation.  One of our friends from church, Josh, is a freshman there and we bumped into him in the student union.  We talked a bit, met some of his new friends, and went on our way.

As we were walking away, I suddenly had this feeling come over me that I'm thinking many parents feel this time of year.  I expect they feel it about a hundred times more strongly than I felt it since it's their actual offspring that they are leaving to be on their own.  I felt almost protective leaving Josh there, so excited for him to be starting this new adventure, and sad that he'd be far away (ok, 40 minutes isn't that far away, but you know what I mean...and I just had to remind myself that I'd see Josh this very evening for his basketball game with Matt...and probably every Sunday at church).  I mentioned it to Matt, and he said, "Can you imagine what it will be like when it's Abigail?"  Thanks, Matt, for ripping my heart out (jk).  It made me think about what my parents probably felt like leaving me here...

...and driving home two and a half hours home.  I just need to get through the first day of Kindergarten.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...