Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Gospel Coalition

I had the opportunity to go to Chicago with Matt a few weeks ago for the Gospel Coalition Conference.  It was a wonderful experience in so many ways - I had the chance to get away with Matt, I took off my mommy hat and put on my seminary hat for a bit, I got to sleep in (!!!!!!), we had the chance to visit with old and new friends, and we ate some amazing food!

This post may seem like a long list of notes...and it is.  My journal oftentimes gets found and used as a coloring book, so I decided that if I didn't get my notes summarized online, they might be covered in crayons and unreadable.  So, this next part may bore you.  Or, you might actually enjoy trying to follow my thoughts.  If you find yourself in the first category, you can just look at the pictures :)

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~ ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Studying the Scriptures & Finding Jesus - John 5:31 (R. Albert Mohler)
- The Old Testament is not someone else’s book, it should not be read in its own terms, and it does not preach another deity
- We do such disservice to the point of the Old Testament when we primarily moralize it
- Intellectual deists are not the same as Christians

Getting Out - Exodus 14 (Tim Keller)
- Our bondage has layers: objective law, subjective law, sin nature, idols
- We need to cross over by grace, and that involves a change of status
- We are not saved by the quality of our faith, but the object of our faith
- We have a mediator in Jesus

From a Foreigner to King Jesus - Ruth (Alistair Begg)
- Begg painted a beautiful picture of the story of Ruth, foreshadowing the ultimate kinsman redeemer, Jesus

Not According to Our Sins - Psalm 25 (James MacDonald)
- Jesus embodies my trust, exemplifies my trust, and enables my trust

The Righteous Branch - Jeremiah 23:1-8 (Conrad Mbewe)
- How can our leadership be relevant to God’s story?
- Where there is failure in leadership, God moves in
- Ultimate leader is Jesus

Youth - Ecclesiates 11:7-12:14 (Matt Chandler)
- There is a way to remember that redeems our rejoicing – Remember who God is, remember what He’s done, remember His commands

Getting Excited About Melchizedek - Psalm 110 (Don Carson)
- I took notes, but they made no sense to me when I reviewed them...I don't think I was ready for Carson so early in the morning :)

Signs of Grace in Inner City Church Planting (Eric Mason)
- God used cities to reach nations and to usher new Christians into maturity(Acts 14:21-23)
- Leadership needs to come within the community to create sustainability.  This may take many years to cultivate!

The Feminist Mistake (Mary Kassian)
- We are now living in the post-feminist movement and feeling the waves of it now
- Many things have been and need to be redefined based on womanhood being redefined (manhood, family, etc.)
- The distinction between male and female is so important because it tells a story of the Gospel, revealing truths in the Trinity
- Biblical manhood/womanhood is bigger than us and all about God
- Biblical manhood/womanhood needs to be taught because it won’t be caught in our culture
- Regard womanhood as a primary discipleship issue
- Teach principles, not specific patterns of application
- Do not lose focus on displaying the Gospel and putting Christ on display

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~ ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Happy and full after dinner at Morton's...best steak I've ever had!

Our delish dessert.  I had a picture of my half eaten steak, but thought this might look a little more appetizing than my messy plate.

The orginal Morton's chef...isn't he just the cutest chef???

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...