Thursday, October 22, 2009

Diversity

There are lots of reasons why our family is a Walmart family. We like other stores too, but really don't mind (and even like!) going to Walmart. I won't get into the whole Walmart debate here, but I will say that we do appreciate the diversity that we oftentimes see there...real people doing real stuff. This is a conversation I had today when I when to check out...I indicated everyone's race that was involved because you have to know that to see the humor in the conversation.

Me (Asian American): Hi!
Cashier (African American): Hi! Oh, your baby (1/2 Asian, 1/2 Caucasian) is so cute! How old is she?
Me: She's a little over 7 months.
Cashier: My baby is 4 months old, but he is huge compared to her. He looks Mexican too.
Me: Well, he must be a good eater! Is he part Mexican?
Cashier: No. I love the little bow in her hair.
Me: Thanks! Does your little boy have a lot of hair already?
Cashier: Oh my goodness, yes! That's why he looks Mexican.

...We proceed with the checkout...

Me: Thank you.
Cashier: You're welcome. Bye, baby! You and my son look like you could be cousins!

The whole dialogue just had me chuckling to myself for SO many reasons. But at the end of the day, the cashier and I made the mommy connection, even if it was through a somewhat unique way :)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Walmart glory- especially for date night!

kat said...

Are you sure Abby wasn't wearing her sombrero again?

this story was soooo funny and sweet. had to share it with mike, who, as a teacher of sociology who covers an entire unit on race & ethnicity, found it especially entertaining. i loved how you concluded it: that you made the mommy connection is really sweet, and it's a great reminder that, despite the myriad, diverse backgrounds from which we all come there is something fundamentally human about connecting in that way. i find it profoundly moving.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...