Monday, March 29, 2010

Which Bubble is Abigail?

I never thought that filling out the 2010 Census would cause somewhat of a crisis for me.  I blackened all the bubbles for Matt and myself, and became slightly amused starting in on Abigail's section.  It felt great to declare her as a "real" person to the government!  What kept me from easily finishing the census in 5 minutes was choosing which bubble to fill in for Abigail's race.  Granted, I was skimming the questions and didn't see the part which said you could fill in more than one bubble for that section.  So, until I reread it and realized I could describe her as both Caucasian and Chinese (sigh of relief!), I was stuck.  For a minute, I thought I had to pick just one and didn't know what to do.  I guess you could say I had a quick existential crisis...well, not my own, but Abigail's.

I flashed back to elementary school and remembered that this question came up for a biracial classmate of mine while taking some standardized test.  Unlike the U.S. Census, this particular test only allowed for one race to be declared.  I don't know which he ended up choosing. 

For those that know me, my Chinese heritage is not too influential in my life.  I honestly wish it was a little more and for that, I blame my parents (just kidding, Mom and Dad!).  How will Abigail identify herself?  I know this question is not new, and is one that most of my extended family has dealt with in the lives of their kids.  However, it struck me personally as I thought about how we would raise Abigail.  It will be interesting to see how her American-Chinese-English-Irish identity will play out in her sense of self and relationships with others as she gets older.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...