Friday, January 14, 2011

Frugal Friday: Children's Clothes for Cheap

Since we moved North Carolina a few years ago, we are pretty far away from family and friends.  That means no children's clothes hand-me-downs for us :(  Most of our friends here have children the same age or younger, therefore, I am forever trying to find ways to reduce spending on Abigail's wardrobe.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

1) Consignment shopping
I buy the majority of Abigail's wardrobe at a HUGE consignment sale that is held twice a year at our state fairgrounds.  Huge is not even the word to describe it...it is GIGANTIC ENORMOUS BIG.  I usually spend 3-4 hours looking though wonderfully organized racks of shirts, pants, and dresses that cost around $1-$4 each.  The last time I went, I found the Columbia jacket that Abigail has been wearing this winter for $8.  If you are in the Raleigh area, you are in luck, because the Kid's Exchange is being held next week!  Check it out here.

While you might not have something like the Kid's Exchange in your town, there are probably smaller consignment shops where you can get amazing deals on gently used items.

2) Shop the clearance rack for out of season clothes that she can wear in the future.
I usually skip the front part of the store (sooooo hard to do..I need those blinders that horses use so that I don't see all the cute stuff) and head for the clearance racks in the back.  And, lo and behold, I find super adorable things like this:

A lined wool coat from Old Navy for $5.69 (originally $36.50)!  It is size 3T, but I snatched it up, knowing Abigail will grow into it.  ***Side note, you should go run to Old Navy this weekend (1/14-1/17) because all clearance items are an additional 40% off!  I not only got this jacket, but found myself embellished tank tops and shirts for $3.

3) Goodwill
My husband introduced me to shopping at Goodwill when we were newly married.  It took me a few trips to get the hang of browsing, but I finally saw the light and am now a loyal fan.  There is usually a bin of infant clothes for $1-$2 a piece, and I've dug through many-a-piles (and some old, weird looking things) to find Carter's, Gymboree, The Children's Place, and Gap items.  If you look at it like a treasure hunt, it is worth your time!
Hope some of these ideas help!  What are some other options that I can add to my list?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...