Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Machine-Made Dinner



This was the scene in my kitchen today.  Lots of machines and no Kristin.  My absence in the kitchen was exactly what I wanted on a lazy Saturday.  Thanks to my crock pot and bread machine, we had a delicious dinner and I only stepped in the kitchen a few times to raid the candy bowl.

These two wonderful machines miraculously produced the following at 6:00pm this evening:

Traditional white bread...

...and split pea soup!
I would give you the recipe for the bread, but I'm pretty sure it is tailored to my specific bread machine.  The split pea soup recipe from About.com, however, is yours to make.

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
3 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 t. dried parsley flakes
1 T. seasoned salt (or to taste)
1/2 t. fresh pepper
1 1/2 qts. hot water

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water.  Do not stir ingredients.  Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours or on slow 8-10 hours until peas are very soft.  Remove bay leaf.  Mash peas to thicken more, if desired.  Serve garnished with croutons.  Serves 8.

2 comments:

CarbonChris said...

ooohhh, that looks really good. I love Split Pea soup and fresh bread... BUT, let's be honest, here. With prep and prep-clean-up time... you stepped into the kitchen for more than a few minutes to visit the candy bowl. That's like those silly lies told be infomercials about those amazing blenders that make fresh salsa and fruit juice instantly. There's a lot of prep work to that instant stuff.

Kristin Schoolfield said...

Chris, it is true that prep and clean up takes some time...I'm guessing 20 minutes at the most. Though I would pay an arm and a leg for an infomercial machine that could prep, cook, and clean up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...