Thursday, September 3, 2009

You know when you're grown up when...

The purchase of a new purse last month got me thinking about growing up. See, this purse wasn't a usual purchase for me. It was a very calculated attempt to try and merge the belongings of my former purse, diaper bag, and coupon organizer together. Convenient? Yes. Trendy and cute? No. But I went with the convenience aspect because I was tired of lugging around so much stuff during errands.

Anyway, what I started thinking about was circumstances over the years that made me realize that I was growing up. Here are some of them:

- Being excited about healthcare benefits at work
- Clipping and organizing coupons (I used to make fun of my Mom about that)
- Wearing sweats out and not caring what I look like...and I know I'm not looking that good
- Being able to buy myself all the sweet, bad for you cereal with no one telling me no
- Having a baby
- Being called "Ma'am" by clients, fast food workers, and grocery store workers
- My stomach not being able to make it through all the roller coaster rides anymore
- Finding gray hairs
- Making the final call to hospitalize client due to his mental state and watching him climb into the ambulance
- Buying my own Christmas tree

I'm sure there are more, but those are some for now. What are some of your "Oh my goodness, I'm an adult!" moments?

1 comment:

kat said...

so, i don't really feel like i'm a grown-up perse, because i still say, without thinking, "when i grow up..." and then realize it, and then make a joke about it. but i have had some "growing-up" moments when i realized how my priorities have shifted from my early to later twenties... so i think you know you're "growing-up" when...

- you're stoked that home depot is open till midnight-- and reopens at 6AM.

- you go shopping at BBB on a Friday night without realizing it

- your "to-do" list involves practical mathematics and real-world multi-variable problem solving... and you're not getting graded on it

- you hear yourself sounding like and behaving like your parents when they were our age or thereabouts

- you realize that people assume that if you are married, you are a mother. people who don't even know you assume that the "MRS" makes you a good and available baby-sitter

- you find loud music at bars annoying

- you are embarrassed that some of the songs you once danced to actually have pretty offensive lyrics

- you feel that you need to vote in local elections

- you feel that you need to take the time to get others engaged in those local elections

- you can share advice with your elders based on your own life experiences

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...